Man jailed after sexually assaulting teenager in Barnsley nightclub

A 45-year-old man who sexually assaulted a teenager on a Barnsley nightclub floor was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison yesterday.

Nicusor Botezatu came across the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, unconscious on the floor of Volt Nightclub, Wellington Street, on 3 December 2018.

He claimed to have been on a night out with work when he encountered the girl slumped on the dancefloor. He proceeded to partially undress her, moving on top of her and assaulting her in an ordeal that lasted for more than five minutes.

The girl, who had recently turned 18 at the time of the incident, had been out drinking earlier in the day with her father and uncle.

The prosecution told Sheffield Crown Court that the girl acknowledged she had drunk so much that she did not remember the time up to, and including, the incident.

However, both prosecution and defence agreed in court that the amount of alcohol the girl had consumed did not mean she was responsible for what happened to her.

It was Christopher DeMonde and Jerome Chambers, security guards at the nightclub, who saw the assault happen via a closed circuit television feed.

The court was told they removed Botezatu from the premises, after which he attempted to run away before they restrained him until police arrived.

He denied sexual assault with penetration at first, but switched his plea to guilty after the medical examination evidence proved a DNA match.

Botezatu, who had no prior convictions, wrote a letter to the court in which he expressed that he was ‘deeply sorry’, saying: ‘This is the highest price I’ll pay for what I’ve done’.

However, when sentencing Botezatu, Judge J Thackeray QC said he did not believe the lack of remorse he had shown to be genuine, as the defendant only admitted his guilt late into the criminal proceedings.

He also said the victim had been particularly vulnerable, adding: “She needed a kindly good Samaritan, and instead she got you. Your offence has had a profound effect on her.”