Investigation launched after second tram crash at the same Sheffield crossing

A second crash involving a Sheffield tram-train, just five weeks after the first, has led to an investigation into the safety of the Attercliffe crossing.

At the end of October, the launch of the UK’s first tram-train service from Sheffield to Rotherham was brought into chaos when it collided with a lorry.

Despite the concerns raised following this incident, the council said the Railway Inspectorate had deemed the crossing safe.

That was until Friday’s crash when a car ploughed into another of the city’s new tram-trains.

One person was taken to hospital with minor injuries but on-lookers said the accident could have been worse.

Ray Khan works at New Room Style, down the road from where the crash took place, and described the junction as a ‘hot spot’ for tram crashes.

He said: “In the last five years this has got to be the third or fourth crash. One time a car set on fire.

“The children are lucky to be alive.

“This crossing needs something, maybe barriers or longer warnings of trams as next time it could be fatal.”

These thoughts were shared by Marc Way, owner of a model railway shop on Attercliffe Road, who said flashing lights should be added to the tram stop to make the crossing clearer.

Sheffield City Council seem to have taken these concerns into account as Jack Scott, Cabinet member for Development and Transport, has said a full review is underway.

He said: “A review was undertaken by the council to further improve visibility between the road and the tram network.

“In addition, two additional ‘tram warning’ signs will be positioned on both the uphill and downhill approaches to Staniforth Road.”

The site of the first tram-train crash in October

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch have also said they are making enquires following the crash and will decide in due course whether a full investigation is required.

Four people suffered minor injuries in the October crash but no passengers were seriously hurt.

The new £75 million service had already faced criticism due to the two-year delay of its launch and the rising cost of construction, initially meant to total around £15 million.

At the time of the first crash, a spokesperson for South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said they would be looking into the incident.

They said: “Where any issues or hotspots are identified we quickly put in place measures to rectify any problems.”

However, it has taken another crash for any changes to be implemented and time will tell if these improvements go far enough to prevent any further incidents.