Fatal Barnsley fire caused by candle

A fire in Barnsley that left one woman dead is thought to have been caused by a candle.

The fire took place on New Road in Staincross at around 5:50 PM on Friday.

Five fire engines from across South Yorkshire were called to attend the blaze which left the house gutted.

Investigations into what caused the fire have been completed and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue believe it was an accident.

Reports for the coroner are currently being prepared.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said in a statement: “Our thoughts and condolences remain with the loved ones of the woman who died.”