Anti-freeze poisons local Sheffield pets

A cat died last week after eating what was believed to be anti-freeze from off the ground in Mosborough, Sheffield.

 

Amy Kealey, who lives on Elm Crescent, said she found Oliver lying on her garden lawn last Tuesday, 14th November, foaming from the mouth and clearly in pain. She took her 3- year-old cat to the vet, but he died shortly after. The vet confirmed his death was caused by poisoning from something he had eaten, most likely anti-freeze.

 

The death follows a bout of pets being poisoned in the neighborhood.

 

Ms Kealey said: “He didn’t actually survive through the night … the vet called us and just said I’m really sorry.

 

“With the amount of cat poisoning that’s going on and what has happened over there then I find it very difficult not to think it’s that.”

 

Ms Kealey urged other pet owners in the area to “be vigilant”.

 

The police refused to comment on the issue. Locals in the area have expressed anger on social media as they say police have been unable to do anything about this incident, and similar cases in the area.

Suzanne Wilman, from Beighton, said her dog was poisoned when out walking around the allotments on Elm Crescent, on the same road that Ms Kealey lives, at the end of October.

 

She believed her 14-month-old Patterdale Terrier, Thomas, was poisoned after eating something “that smelt like cat food” on the ground at the allotments.

 

Ms Wilman said: “He lost control of all his bowls, his waterworks. He was dragging his back legs … He were very lethargic and he just couldn’t walk.”

 

Thomas improved after vet treatment, but has still not made a full recovery.

 

Ms Wilman said: “The vet said it could take a couple of months to become normal again”. She added that the vets thought it was rat poisoning at first, but that it “came on too quick” to be so. They then said they thought it was anti-freeze, since a few cats had recently died from anti-freeze poisoning in the area.

 

Ms Wilman suspects she knows who put down the poison, but said “but it’s proving it. It’s proving who it were.”

 

Both poisonings were reported to the RSPCA and the police, but no actions nor prosecutions have yet been made.

 

While the police refused to comment on the incidents, the RSPCA issued a statement saying: “Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical … The signs of poisoning can include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing.

 

We’d also like to remind people to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals, including antifreeze, and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.”